Have you seen the adorable rainbow Macramé keychains on backpacks lately? Have you been interested in creating your own? If so, you are in the right place because I’m going to show you how to create a Macramé Floral Rainbow. But what is Macramé? Macramé is a form of textile that uses knotting techniques. The technique is pretty simple once you get the hang of it. I’ll share a step-by-step tutorial so you can make your own Macramé.
This is a great Macramé beginner project for anyone that wants to learn how to make their own. Remember you can switch up the yarn colors to whatever you want! You can even make it bigger or smaller once you mastered this simple Macramé project. Hang it on your wall to match your home decor or create keychains for backpacks.
DIY Macramé Floral Rainbow
- Decide the number of layers for the rainbow and cut ropes accordingly. Place the rope on a flat surface by forming a rainbow curve and, measure, mark, and cut the ropes.
- Grab any one of the ropes and start wrapping the rope with a yarn or twine string by leaving an inch intact from its open end. Apply hot glue to secure the open end of the string or yarn around the rope.
- Cover the rope all the way to its other end but also makes sure to leave an inch intact on that end.
- Similarly, cover the rest of the rope cutouts using yarn or string. 1 inch on both sides of the ropes must remain intact.
- Take a piece of felt big enough to place the rainbow pattern on it. Use hot-glue to attach the wrapped ropes on the felt. Make sure to create the rainbow curve while attaching the ropes on the felt.
- One by one attach all the ropes on the felt. Use scissors to cut the felt base along the border of the ropes.
- You can either use store-bought flowers or craft your own flowers from felt. I’m doing the spiral rose craft to make the flowers for this rainbow.
- Craft the flowers and cut out some leaves from green colored felt fabric.
- Attach the felt flowers and leaves on either side of the rainbow.
- Open the twists of the ropes’ 1-inch open ends. Attach a hanging mechanism on the backside of the rainbow if you want to hang it on a wall or use it as a charm.