This post is sponsored by Zonderkidz. All opinions stated here are my own.
‘Tis the season of giving! The holiday season is a great time to teach kids the importance of giving back As expected, kids are excited about what toys they are getting for Christmas. I want to teach my children that giving to others is joyful, too. Just small gestures can really make someone’s day feel special. Sometimes it may be hard to explain to kids the true meaning of the holidays, but reading books like The Berenstain Bears and the Joy of Giving is the perfect way to show them.
Inspired by the book, I made an engaging craft to help explain the reason for the season. Get the kids involved in making these fun DIY scratch-off Advent calendar cards! The Joy of Giving Advent Calendar Scratch-Off Cards will get kids excited because they will uncover a new surprise every day. Each card suggests new ideas for doing something special for friends and giving back to those in need.
About The Berenstain Bears and the Joy of Giving
In The Berenstain Bears and The Joy of Giving, Brother and Sister Bear can’t wait for Christmas and all the presents they’ll open. But during the Christmas Eve pageant, something special happens! The Bear cubs learn a very valuable lesson about the joy of giving to others.
Joy of Giving Advent Calendar Scratch-Off Cards
- Free printable Advent Calendar Cards (Page 1, Page 2)
- White Cardstock
- Clear packaging tape
- Gold acrylic paint
- Dish soap
- Small paint brush
1. Download the free 12-day Advent calendar cards. Print them on white cardstock.
2. You can cut the cards out first or cut them out after you apply the dish soap/paint mixture. I cut them after I applied the mixture.
3. Mix 2 parts paint with 1 part dish soap. You can use any color you want for the paint – it will work either way.
4. Apply a piece of clear packing tape to each of the Joy of Giving Advent cards. Cut a piece that is big enough to cover the text. You can place a piece of tape to cover the entire white part of the card – totally up to you!
5. Use the small paintbrush to cover the tape. It will take multiple coats, just let it dry between each layer. I covered my area with 3 coats total. Let the paint dry completely.
6. Use string, ribbon, or even clothespins to place in a line. You are all set!
My kids look forward to scratching off the card every day and following along with what the calendar suggests. It has been so much fun to share the experience of giving back to others with my children. They have really learned that there is joy in giving. Some of their favorite activities has been baking cookies, creating handmade cards, and donating toys to those in need.
There are so many fun ways to get the kids involved this Holiday season. Though I tell my kids the joy of giving doesn’t end after the Christmas season – it should be practiced year round. The Joy of Giving Advent Calendar Scratch-off Cards will definitely be a new tradition in our household.
What is your favorite way to give back?