Disclosure: The links in this post contain affiliate links and I will receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on my link.
I’ve been trying to find a cute mermaid pillow for some time but with no success. I decided to make my own! I have a Silhouette Cameo that I absolutely love! You can do so much with it. I wanted to add a cute mermaid silhouette in gold to a pink/white chevron pillow she had. Gold is so in right now! I knew it would go perfect with her color scheme.
- Silhouette Cameo (or other die-cutting machine)
- iron-on vinyl (I got mine from ExpressionsVinyl.com)
- iron (I used Rowenta Pro Master Iron)
- Cutting file (I got mine from the Silhouette store)
1. I opened my mermaid file in the Silhouette Designer Studio. Adjusted the size to be about 6.5 inches long (you would adjust according to your pillow size). Be sure to select outline for the cutting file.
2. Load your vinyl on the cutting mat or feed it through the machine itself. It is important to make sure the glossy side of the vinyl is facing down. I adjusted my blade based on the vinyl setting which was “2”.
3. I sent the file to the Silhouette machine.
4. Once the file is cut (it is very faint on the viny) peel the top non-glossy side off the clear backing. You should be left with your design on the clear glossy sheet.
5. Heat your iron, grab the pillow, vinyl design, and a piece of fabric/clothing to lay on top of the vinyl while you iron. Place the design down on the pillow with the clear sheet on top and your design on the pillow and iron it really good. Press down firmly so the vinyl could adhere to the pillow.
The project was pretty simple and I was able to get exactly what I wanted for my daughter’s room. A pillow made specially for her!
I loved the mermaid file so much that I added it to my daughter’s dress. It went from plain pink to an awesome mermaid dress. She absolutely loves it!
Disclosure: I was provided with a sample pack of vinyl and Rowenta iron for this project. All opinions stated are my own.